June 11, 2006

Red Eye (2005)



I just watched Wes Craven's "Red Eye" and loved it so much that I am going to throw all my horror films away and worship it as the finest example of filmmaking ever created. Nothing could ever compete with this masterpiece so I might as well not bother watching any more ever again.

No, I'm lying.

It was crap!

What the hell happened to Wes Craven? I remember when he used to be a pretty serious contender in the horror film business. Of course then he started to ruin it all for himself with things like "Scream" but even that had some merits compared to the purile load of excrement that I just suffered through.

From the IMDb: "A woman is kidnapped by a stranger on a routine flight. Threatened by the potential murder of her father, she is pulled into a plot to assist her captor in offing a politician."

Yes, that's it. That's all that it's about. Some rough looking hotel receptionist is threatened while on a plane that if she doesn't make a phone call to swap some politician's room over to facilitate an assassination then the bad guys who have staked out her father's house will kill him instead.

Now, I ask you, why did she even bother to try and save the politician? This was the most incredulous thing I have ever seen. Given the choice, "It's your father or the politician?", it's a no-brainer really. You'd be grabbing that phone quicker than George Bush could say... well... anything coherent at all. Let's face it, you'd have a fantastic excuse when the police finally caught up with you too.

So the plot was stupid, really stupid, and, worse, it was full of holes and predictable too. The acting was alright but nothing exceptional even if the Irish bloke from "28 Days Later" did do quite a passable American accent. The action scenes were also ok too near the end even if they were without any adult realism.

BUT, where was the tension? I didn't feel the slightest bit of tension or suspense watching this at all. Is this what is now laughingly referred to as a "Thriller"? Well, it didn't thrill me. It was just a terribly slow and formulaic "kiddy friendly" film that was obviously meant for people who have the same number for their IQ as their age.

I'll give it 2 out of 10. I didn't like it, but it was amusing to see the guy who played the boss cop in "CHiPs" make a brief appearance as an annoying customer in the hotel scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment