August 14, 2007

Stardust (2007)



Because "Stardust" isn't from a genre that I completely understand, I've probably rated it far too highly but I absolutely loved this as a fairy tale.

I would have given it 8 out of 10 if it hadn't been for the highly embarrassing Ricky Gervais cameo. I don't like him as a comedian or an actor and his performance was his usual one-joke act.

I was amazed at Michelle Pfeiffer though. In the moments where she was supposed to be beautiful, she really was. She's still not much of an actress either but she's definitely a hottie and was very entertaining.

I didn't really think much of the old witch make-up effects but then I'm fussy when it comes to scary witches anyway. The blue fantasy blood and CGI ruined a couple of what could have been gory moments too. I don't expect the audience that this film was intended for to really mind that though.

My biggest niggle is that Claire Danes isn't a sparkly enough actress to play the part of a "star". I just found her performance to be very flat and a bit trying especially when compared to the awesomeness of Charlie Cox who I've never even heard of before. This really is his show all the way and I'm sure he's destined for even greater things. He's perfect eyecandy for the ladies too.

I would have liked to have seen more of Kate Magowan. She oozed sex appeal as Una but I suppose this is a kiddie-friendly film after all so a tease was all we were ever going to get.

The image of Robert De Niro in women's clothes will probably haunt me for a while though even if it was the only truly funny moment in the whole film (other than Dexter Fletcher and Rupert Everett still pretending to be actors). This certainly made up for "The Golden Compass" and "The Dark is Rising" (which I barely endured) and it was 100 times better than "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe".

I wouldn't buy it on DVD or anything but watching "Stardust" was a great way to spend a couple of hours. I recommend it to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment