January 21, 2008

An interview with Lindsay MacFarland


Lindsay MacFarland is an actress and model who works in Los Angeles. Though not strictly a horror actress, Lindsay did once play a supporting role in a Hallmark film called "Monster Makers".

In January 2008, Lindsay agreed to answer a few interview questions for me. Here's what she had to say...

How did you become an actress?
I’ve been acting ever since I could remember. I’ve always had a passion for performing. When I was young (around 4 or 5), I would put on plays with my older brother and perform for my family. In elementary school, I was always the lead in the school plays. It wasn’t until junior high that I was introduced to a video camera. This was probably the moment in time when my passion turned from the theater to motion pictures. I started making movies out of the books I was reading in school. I would hire my friends and family as the actors. After filming the first one, I tried handing it in for extra credit in my English class, and it worked! So, I continued to bring our class readings to the big (actually, very small) screen. I had so much extra credit, the teacher didn’t know what to do. From that moment on, I was hooked.

Did you do well at school or did you hate it?
I always loved school. Test taking came very easy to me. I’ve had some amazing teachers along the way, which I really think helped me enjoy it.

Do you like to break rules or are you a good girl?
I like being a good girl. I take pride in always trying to do the right thing. When I break the rules (even if I tell just a little white lie) I feel sick to my stomach for days. And, I’ve never thought that it was worth it.

What has been the high point of your career so far? And the lowest?
There have been many highlights. Working with talented actors like Eric Bana has been wonderful, and I have learned so much from all of my co-stars along the way. I think that the lowest point might have been from a modeling call I attended once, when I was in high school. The woman told me that my 5’7”, 115 pound frame was “just too fat” for modeling. It hurts to hear words like that. So, that’s when I focused strictly on acting. I knew I wasn’t cut out to be a model.

Do you have any aspirations to be an actor in a big budget major motion picture?
I’ve been blessed to have already worked in big budget films. Do I love it? Yes. Is it my ultimate goal? Not exactly. I would really love acting roles that are more “having-a-family-friendly”, where the hours aren’t so long, and you have a more steady schedule (i.e. television sitcom). I want to have children someday, and I’d like to be around to raise them.

What would be your ideal role? And your worst one?
I would love to be able to portray a powerful, strong woman. Something along the lines of Angelina Jolie in “Tomb Raider” or Linda Hamilton in “Terminator 2”. The worst role for me would be something that you might catch on late night Cinemax. I knew from the first moment that I came to LA, that those roles would come my way, and sometimes it would be hard to turn down the money. So, since coming out here, my motto has been “I don’t work on projects that I wouldn’t be proud to show my dad”. I’ve stuck to that. And, I feel that in the long run, it’s saved me a lot of heartache.

Have you ever thought of being on a reality TV show such as Big Brother?
I’ve had the opportunity to be on a reality show, and I turned it down. At the time, I hadn’t done any substantial projects, so I was afraid that it would’ve been difficult to break free from the “reality star” typecast.

What part of the industry really upsets you?
One of the hardest things about this industry is all of the catch-22s. You can’t get an agent without any work, and you can’t get any work without an agent. The same thing with our union. You can’t join SAG without working as a SAG member, yet you can’t work as a SAG member without being SAG. It’s basically a crap-shoot as to whether or not it will all come together. I think that because of this format, we are missing out on some amazing talent just because they couldn’t get their foot in the door.

Do you think that you are unique?
That’s a hard question. I think that everyone is unique. No two people are the same, and I hope that goes for me as well. I’m not the sort of person that stands out it a crowd because I wear crazy clothes or hairstyles, but I feel that I have many unique life experiences and qualities that make me different from the next person.

If you could be anyone else for 24 hours who would you want to be?
I would probably want to be the head of a major studio such as Paramount or Sony Pictures. I think it would really benefit me, as an actor, to see the whole picture, especially from the production standpoint.

Who do you admire in show business?
I’ve always admired Natalie Portman. She seems to be able to juggle the struggles of the business with poise and grace, while still saving time to be a humanitarian on the side.

What is your favourite brand of make-up?
MAC. My sister works as a make-up artist for MAC, and over the years, she’s made me a loyal customer.

Who is your favourite fashion stylist?
I love anything from Prada. Unfortunately, I haven’t had enough free flowing money to spend it on anything in their stores, but I’m looking forward to the day that I can buy a pair of heels and a matching handbag.

If you were to be given a million dollars right now, what would be the first thing you'd do?
Invest it. I would love to have my money work for me someday. One of these days, I’ll be opening the Wall Street Journal over my morning tea and muffin, and check up on my stocks for the day.

Do you like tea? How about cola?
I don’t drink much cola. My favorite beverage is iced tea. You’ll hardly ever catch me at a lunch without one.

What do you like to do most when not acting or modelling?
I love playing with my dog. He’s an amazing little guy. I also just took up learning to play the guitar. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. And, I recently started taking lessons to get my pilot’s license.

Do you read a lot of books?
I don’t have too much time to read, but I do enjoy it. Right now, I’m reading John Steinbeck’s “East of Eden”, and I’m really liking it so far.

What time do you normally get up and go to bed?
Usually, I’m an “early to bed, early to rise” sort of person. I usually go to bed around 10:30, and I then wake up around 7 in the morning.

Have you ever stayed awake more than 24 hours in a row, internetting for instance?
Yes, I remember I stayed awake that long once. But, I wasn’t internetting. In high school, my friend and I were trying to win tickets to a Garth Brooks concert by entering a poster contest. We spent ALL night long on this poster, and had to go straight to the judging when we were done. We ended up winning the tickets, and saw the concert from the front row! It happened to fall on a night when he was recording footage for his music video “It’s Your Song”. So, if you watch it carefully, you can see me!

If you were able to go anywhere in time, where would you go and what would you do there?
I would probably go back to see my grandmother. She died when I was very young, yet she was such a wonderful woman that she still has an impact on me. So, I’d like to go back and really get to know her, adult to adult.

If you were stranded on a desert island which three things would you like to have with you?
My Blackberry, my dog, and craft service!

Do you get any scary fans or have they all been nice to you?
So far, all of my fans have been wonderful and supportive. It still surprises me when I get recognized while out running errands. It always makes me wish that I would’ve taken the extra time to throw on some mascara.

What advice would you give an aspiring actress/actor?
Act your heart out. There will be so many discouraging moments along the way, but if you believe in yourself, all of your wildest dreams will come true. Surround yourself with people who encourage you and your aspirations.

Thank you.





Please check out her website at www.lindsaymacfarland.com to find out even more about this talented actress, model and stuntwoman.

She can also be contacted at: http://www.myspace.com/lindsaymacfarland or visit her IMDB page.

All pictures of Lindsay MacFarland on this page are copyrighted to Lindsay MacFarland and are used here with permission. (Date of interview: Monday, 21st January, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment