April 26, 2007

An interview with Melissa Bacelar


Melissa Bacelar is an actress, writer and businesswoman. As an actress Melissa's credits include ABC's "One Life To Live" and several horror films including the award-winning "Strange Things Happen at Sundown".

In April 2008, Melissa Bacelar kindly agreed to answer a few questions for me, proving that she is not only a beautiful scream queen but a wonderful human being as well. Here's what she had to say...

How did you become an actress/scream queen?
Well that is simple. One day, when I was about 5 years old, I realized it was super easy for me to manipulate people. Seriously, I would study the adults, figure out what would make them give me my way... crying, yelling, flirting whatever and I would do it. By the time I was 15 I was really good and decided that manipulating others was my favorite past time. The only way to really bank on it, besides pulling an Anna and making an old rich guy think you love him, is to be an actress!! Oh, I also have a really good sense of humor. Basically, I always knew I wanted to be an actress and I started auditioning and booking roles!

Did you do well at school or did you hate it?
I basically manipulated my way through school. very easy to do at an all girl catholic school. I was basically smarter then everyone by 3rd grade and figured out how to cheat. I got decent grades and never brought home a book.

What has been the high point of your career so far?
There have been ALOT!! I am very, very, extremely grateful for all the opportunities I have been given. I worked with James Gunn on my first feature. One of my Best Friends is an amazing horror writer, Joshua Nelson. I have worked with numerous talented actors, directors, special FX people... The list goes on. But... the absolute highlight was getting a call from Star Magazine a few weeks ago wanting me to confess to and give them details on an alleged affair I had with Penelope Cruz!!! That was PRICELESS!!

And the lowest?
Well I would have to say when Troma took me to Cannes in 2000 to promote Citizen Toxie. I know what you are thinking, what could be low involving, Lloyd Kaufman, the Toxic Avenger and the French Riviera. Not much was low... Except, Lloyd kept inviting random people to stay in the apartment he rented for us and one night when I got back to the apartment some guy was laying on my pillow. The pillow was under his ass. I am not kidding.

Do you have any aspirations to be an actor in a big budget major motion picture?
Of course. I have been getting roles in bigger budget films lately. I have a few coming out in 2008. The biggest difference is you get a trailer as opposed to a chair!

What would be your ideal role?
Thats a tough one because it changes. Today it would be a neurotic, super sexy, ass kicking super hero!!!

And the worst one?
The Dumb Blonde!

Who do you admire in show business?
I admire anyone who stays grounded. Fame is a weird thing and people handle it differently and I think it's ok when actors freak out. Everyone does sometimes. But people like Asia Argento and Jamie Lee Curtis seem to have keeping it cool down to a science.

If you could be anyone else for 24 hours who would you want to be?
No one. I am fully content with me!

What part of the industry really pisses you off?
I have learned to love the industry for all it's worth. If you look hard enough at anything you will find fault. I just choose not to get caught up in the things that are out of my control. And in this industry most of it is out of my control!!

Do you get any scary fans or have they all been nice to you?
I always think it's weird when people are my fans. I love meeting people and getting emails and talking to people. But I never consider it a fan/actress relationship. I think of it as here is this person who enjoys the same stuff that I do. Cool... Lets talk!

If you were cast in an episode of 'Desperate Housewives' who would you befriend and who would you least like to have an onscreen romance with?
If I was on Desperate Housewives I would totally befriend the slutty one. I don't know her name on the show but I think she is engaged to Michael Bolton. But it's always more fun to play the slut. I would not want to have a romance with Marcia Cross, the red head. She freaks me out because she seems so fragile like you could break her!

Have you ever thought of being on a reality TV show such as Big Brother?
The thought has crossed my mind. But I know alot about editing! So I am fully aware that no matter how you actually act on the show a good editor can make you look BAD!

I see you also do some modelling. What would be your ideal photoshoot?
I just did it. For Playboy. It was sooooooooo fun. I think it will be in the magazine this summer. (Check out www.melissabacelar.com for details!)

What is your favourite brand of make-up?
Laura Mercier for photos and Benefit for everyday.

What do you like to do most when not acting or modelling?
I have six dogs and 3 bunnies and COUNTLESS wild animals in my yard. So most of my time goes to walking, feeding, cleaning... And I love it. Animals are the greatest gift a person could have!

What time do you normally get up and go to bed?
Well lately I have had to be on set by 8am. So I have been getting up at around 5am to feed everyone and going to bed by midnight!

Have you ever stayed awake more than 24 hours in a row, internetting for instance? Have you become addicted to the net yet?
Yes. Not internetting but I have had a few 24 hour days!! I am addicted to shopping on the internet. NeimanMarcus and ShopBop have had many orders from me at 2am!

Who is your favourite fashion stylist?
I am not sure. But my favorite designers are Stella McCartney, Christian Lacroix, La Rok, Casadei, Christian Dior, Chloe, Michael Kors... Ooooh the list goes on and on.

Have you ever bought anything from ebay or a garage sale?
Ebay yes. I have a crazy shoe addiction. Most of my shoes are upwards of $400. So ebay helps me out with that. I find great deals on designer shoes all the time! Garage Sales are not my thing.

If you were a cartoon character who would it be?
I am a cartoon character! Canina - www.ismelltrouble.com.

What is your favourite meal? Do you have a favourite recipe?
I definitely don't cook but I love breakfast and really good NY pizza!

How many cheesey poofs can you get into your mouth in one go?
Wow. Probably alot... I will say 20?? Is that possible. I have unfortunately never tried.

If you were stranded on a desert island which three things would you like to have with you?
Clarence, my dog. A vibrator (sorry mom) and my PDA.

If you were able to go anywhere in time, where would you go and what would you do there?
The Salem Witch Trials with a machine gun. Psychos hanging women would get blown away!

What scares you?
Sharks. I swear. Even sitting here in my room with no ocean in sight.. The thought of all those teeth makes me quiver! DAMN JAWS!

Would you have your picture taken wearing nothing but a Dr Blood's Video Vault t-shirt if you were sent one?
I would love to.

Which question would you most like to be asked?
Melissa, where I can I adopt a dog??

And the answer to that question?
Please go to your local shelter or Petfinder.com. Don't buy from pet stores or breeders!!

Thank you.


Please check out her website at www.MelissaBacelar.com to find out even more about this accomplished scream queen. Melissa can also be contacted at: http://www.myspace.com/horrorsiren.


All pictures of Melissa Bacelar on this page are copyrighted to Melissa Bacelar and are used here with permission. (Date of interview: Thursday, 26th April, 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment